Aoudads are a species of caprid, meaning Goat-Antelope. Both males and females have horns. Aoudads are native to the northern regions of Africa. They can achieve a jump of over 7 feet, from a standing still position. They can live about 20 years.
Arctic Wolves are smaller in size than Timber Wolves, but can weigh over 100 pounds. They are able to withstand sub-zero temperatures, months of darkness and weeks without food. They will eat every part of their prey, including fur and bones. Arctic Wolves can live over 15 years in captivity.
The most common bear species native to North America is the Black Bear. The Black Bear population ranges from northern Alaska all through Canada, northern Mexico and 41 of the 50 States in the U.S. 85% of the Bear’s diet consists of vegetation, with the other 15% consisting of fish and meat. They have a great sense of smell, yet they also have poor eyesight and a poor sense of hearing. Males can weigh up to 550 pounds and up to 6 feet long, and they are capable of running up to 30 mph. Black Bears can live up to 20 years.
An endangered species, Bengal Tigers are native to India, Bangladesh and Nepal. Males can weigh up to 575 pounds, and be 9 feet from head to tip of tail. They can reach speeds of 30 mph and have retractable claws. Bengal Tigers are capable of eating over 50 pounds of meat in a sitting when hungry. They can live 15 years.
Native to North America, the Bobcat is a member of the cat family. Named for its short and “bobbed” tail, it also has black tufts on its ears and longer hairs on the sides of its face, resembling sideburns. The Bobcat hunts small mammals, rodents and even insects if it has to. Its lifespan is approximately 15-20 years in captivity.
Coatimundis are a member of the raccoon family and are native to Mexico and South America. They measure between 13-27 inches long from their nose to the base of their tail, which can be just as along as their body. They also weigh up to 18 pounds. In the wild, they are Omnivores, eating not only vegetation, but also insects and small rodents. Coatimundis’ lifespan is about 10 years.
There are 2 types of Camels — Bactrian (2 humps) and Dromedary (1 hump). When full-grown, Dromedary Camels can be up to 7 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh up to 1500 pounds. They are capable of drinking 30 gallons of water in just 10 minutes. Dromedary Camels can run in bursts of almost 40 mph, and sustain a speed of 25 mph. Their lifespan is 40-50 years.
One of the largest species of deer in the world, Elk are native to the northern parts of North America and Asia. Bull Elks are an average of 700 pounds, stand 5 ft tall at the shoulders and are about 8 feet in length. Only the males grow antlers, and the largest recorded were over 4 feet long and weighed in at over 40 pounds. Elks’ lifespan is 15-20 years in captivity.
The largest bird native to Australia, Emus are also the second largest bird in the world to the Ostrich. While they are flightless birds, they are capable of running at speeds of over 30 mph for a sustained distance. Emus can each over 6 ft in height and weigh over 100 pounds. Their lifespan is 10-20 years in captivity.
Fallow Deer are native to most of Europe and have since been introduced to other habitats around the world, including the continental United States. When mature, the Buck’s antlers will have a “palm” on the end instead of the prongs that most deer have. Males can weigh up to 200 lbs. Their lifespan is about 12-16 years.